It’s always good to get cool advice and here is one from Ninzio Themes about updating WordPress themes and plugins.
“Ninzio Themes” is a team of enthusiasts, who create themes for WordPress for more than 6+ years. As officially stated, their goal is “to reunite the elegance of a unique design with professional programming to create Unique and Easy To Use Flexible WordPress Themes With Advanced Functionality“.
WordPress team releases new updates frequently and all themes, plugins need to be compatible with that new updates for sure. At this article you will learn how to update WordPress themes and plugins easily. Different update methods will be described in details.
The easiest way to update theme and plugins is to use WordPress upload:
1. First of all update WordPress version via wp admin panel > updates. For plugins from WP depository use auto-update option via wp admin panel > plugins.
2. Then re-download theme and plugins latest version from Envato Marketplace. Usually you need to download theme full zip pack, and there you will find latest theme zip files and plugins latest zip files ( WPBakery, Revolution Slider and others ). Plugins zip files are usually located in “plugins” folder.
3. Now we have theme and plugins latest versions. To update theme goto wp admin panel > themes > upload new theme. Upload theme zip files. You will see notice that theme already exist and will be asked to replace theme version. Press “Replace current with uploaded”. Now your theme will be replaced with uploaded one.
4. Do the same for all plugins via wp admin panel > plugins > add new. Upload plugins zip files one by one.
You can also update theme and plugins via FTP:
1. Download latest version of theme ( full pack ). Unzip it and inside you will see theme zip file, “plugins” folder and others.
2. Unzip theme zip file as well, then goto wp-content > themes in your ftp and replace theme old folder with new one, by replacing all files as well
3. Now you need to update all included plugins. Goto “plugins” folder in your theme pack, then unzip all zip files inside that folder, in result you will have plugins folders. Goto wp-content > plugins > and replace each folder of plugin with new folder, by replacing all files inside folder
4. Recommended to delete old theme and plugins folder then upload new ones on ftp update